History Podcasts

Kanawha II ScStr - History

Kanawha II ScStr - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.



(ScStr: t. 175; 1. 114'; b. 18'; dr. 7'; s. 14 k.; a. 1 3-pdr., 3 I-pdrs., 2 mg.)

The second Kanawha was built in 1896 by Charles L. Seabury & Co., Nyack on Hudson, N.Y.; purchased early in the Spanish-American War by the Navy from John P. Duncan 7 June 1898; and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 26 July, Lt. Frank F. Fletcher in command.

Kanawha steamed out of New York Harbor 5 August and touched Port Royal, S.C., and Key West, Fla., before arriving Gibara, Cuba, on the 21st. She operated in Cuban waters supporting occupation forces until departing Gibara 12 September. After calling at Port Royal, Charleston, and Hampton Roads, she returned New York 29 September. She decommissioned 8 October and was loaned to the Rhode Island Naval Militia 12 December.

Kanawha was returned to the Navy 12 August 1899 and transferred to the War Department.

Kanawha (SP-169) was purchased by the Navy from H. C. Baxter of Brunswick, Maine 27 April 1917. She was found defective during fitting out and returned to her owner.

USS Kanawha II (SP-130)

USS Kanawha II (SP-130)/USS Piqua (SP-130) -- was a yacht acquired by the U.S. Navy during World War I. She was placed into service as an escort for Allied convoys traveling across the dangerous North Atlantic Ocean. German U-boats were active in sinking Allied ships, and Kanawha II (later renamed Piqua) provided a valuable service as a lookout and in one instance attacked one and drove it off. Post-war she was returned to her pre-war owner in July 1919.

  • USS Kanawha II (1917-1918)
  • USS Piqua (1917-1919)
  • four 3” guns
  • one 6-pounder gun

Related Articles


Cohen, Stan & Richard Andre. Kanawha County Images. Charleston: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company & Kanawha County Bicentennial, 1987.

Cohen, Stan, Richard Andre & William D. Wintz. Bullets and Steel. Charleston: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company, 1995.

Lowry, Terry. The Battle of Scary Creek. Charleston: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company, 1982.

Lowry, Terry. 22nd Virginia Infantry. Lynchburg: H. E. Howard, 1988.

Cite This Article

Andre, Richard A. "Kanawha Riflemen." e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia. 07 October 2010. Web. 20 June 2021.


Consolidated Shipbuilding was a builder of luxury yachts. The Kanawha was built in 1899 at the shipyard on Matthewson Road, in the Morris Heights section of the Bronx, New York City. The shipyard moved after World War II. The former shipyard property later became part of Roberto Clemente State Park. [1]

The 471-ton Kanawha was approximately 200 feet (61 m) long. Manned by a crew of 39 people, Kanawha was often compared by the newspapers of the day to the North Star, the yacht of a member of the Vanderbilt family. Even among its contemporaries in the fleet of the New York Yacht Club, Kanawha was a large vessel. The yacht cost $350,000 to build, and it had a record-setting speed of 22.2 knots. [2]

Source of original name Edit

The name Kanawha was probably selected by the original owner, Henry Huttleston Rogers. Among his many other activities, Rogers was an active investor and developer of West Virginia's coal lands and railroads in the area of the Kanawha River in the late 19th and early 20th century.

The latter included the Kanawha and Pocahontas Railroad Company incorporated in 1898. Its line ran 15 miles (24 km) from the Kanawha River up a tributary called Paint Creek. Rogers negotiated its lease to the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway (C&O) in 1901 and its sale to a newly formed C&O subsidiary, Kanawha and Paint Creek Railway Company, in 1902.

That same year, Rogers began investing with William Nelson Page in the Deepwater Railway, which was built south into new coal lands from Deepwater in Fayette County on the Kanawha River.

Kanawha was acquired in April 1917 by the U.S. Navy from her then owner, John Borden, and commissioned as USS Kanawha II (SP–130) under Borden's command. She was placed into service as an escort for Allied convoys traveling across the dangerous North Atlantic Ocean. Later renamed Piqua, she attacked a German U-boat off the coast of France and drove it off. Following the end of hostilities she was returned to her pre-war owner in July 1919.

The final chapter in the life of the Kanawha was as unusual as the way it had started. The Black Star Line was a shipping line incorporated by Marcus Garvey, who organized the United Negro Improvement Association (UNIA). The Black Star Line derived its name from the White Star Line, another shipping line whose success Garvey felt he could duplicate, which would become a standard of his Back-to-Africa movement.

Kanawha II ScStr - History

Massachusetts II
(ScStr: t. 1,515, 1. 210'10", b. 33'2", s. 11 k., a. 1 22
pdr. 42 cwt. pivot, 4 82 cwt.)

The second Massachusetts, an iron screw steamer built at Boston in 1860, was purchased by the Navy 3.May 1861 from the Boston & Southern Steamship Co., and commissioned 24 May 1861 at Boston, Commander Melancton Smith in command.

Assigned to the Gulf Blockading Squadron, Massachusetts steamed south 10 May 1861 to anchor off Key West, departing there 8 June for Pensacola. The next day she took her first prize, British ship Perthshire, near Pensacola. She captured Achilles 17 June and 2 days later took Naham Stetson off Pass a l'Outre, Ln., and on the 23d captured Mexican schooner Brilliant and the Confederate blockade running schooners Trois Forces Olive Branch, Fanny, and Basile in the Gulf of Mexico. While Massachusetts was absent, the South had fortified Ship Island, and the batteries fired on her when she returned from "Pensacola". She engaged the Confederate guns until she ran out of ammunition. On 13 July she seized schooner Hiland near Ship Island, and next day engaged steamers Arroto and Oregon off Chandeleur Island, forcing them to withdraw. Massachusetts captured blockade running sloop Charles Henry near Ship Island 7 August and gained information on Fort Pike, which guarded the entrance to Lake Pontchartrain for the South.

After repairs In early September. Massachusetts fortified Chandeleur Island and set up a light there 13 September. A landing party from the ship took possession of Ship Island 17 September, thereby providing the Union Navy with a valuable shelter during storms and the base from which Farragut would launch his attack on New Orleans. Returning to Ship Island 20 September, Massachusetts attacked, causing the South to burn the barracks and desert Ship Island passage.

Massachusetts operated near strategically important Ship Island through the remainder of the year. She thwarted Confederate forts to transport freight through the passage 2 December, captured a small fishing boat 12 December, and turned back Oregon, Pamlico, Orag Cloud, and Florida at Mississippi Sound 19 December.

Early In 1862 Massachusetts steamed northward to decommission at New York 28 February. Fitted out as a transport and supply ship, she recommissioned 16 April and operated along the Atlantic e coast until decommissioning at New York 3 December.

Massachusetts recommissioned 10 March 1863 and but for a brief period in ordinary late that summer served the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron through the end of the war. She captured sloop Parsis in Wassaw Sound 12 March and with Commodore Perry captured blockade runner Caledonia 30 May 1864 south of Cape Fear after a 2-hour chase. In August she aided steamers Gettysburg and Keystone State in the capture of Confederate steamer Lillian

On 19 March 1860 Massachusetts struck a torpedo (mine), which failed to explode, in Charleston Harbor. She decommissioned 22 September 1865 at New York and was sold there at public auction 1 October 1867. Documented 11 February 1868 as Crescent City, she served American commerce until 1872.

Kanawha II ScStr - History

1. 143'2" b. 27'3" dr. 8'6" dph. 8'1"
cpl. 85 a. 1 8" D. sb., 1 32-pdr., 1 12-pdr D. r. )

The second Louisiana, a sidewheel steamer built at Wilmington, Del., in 1860, was purchased by the Navy at Philadelphia 10 July 1RG1 and commissioned in August 1861, Lt. Alexander Murray in command.

Assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, until January 1862 Louisiana operated along the Virginia coast, blocking the passage of Confederate blockade runners, and attacking them at their bases. Similar operations denied the use of coastal inlets and seaboard towns to the blockade runners and tied down Confederate troops to guard those of such houses which could be held On 13 September 1861, with Savannah, Louisiana engaged CSS Patrick Henry off Newport News, but shot from both sides fell short. Two of her boats destroyed a schooner fitting out as a Confederate privateer at Chincoteague Inlet 5 October, and 2 days later she captured schooner S. T.Carrison' with a cargo of wood near Wallops Island.

Chincoteaque Island was lost to the Confederacy as a base when on 14 October Louisiana’s Lt. A. Murray witnessed the administration of the oath of allegiance to the United States to Chincoteague's citizens. Her boats, led
by Lt. Alfred Hopkins, surprised and burned three Confederate vessels at Chincoteague Inlet 28 and 29 October.

On 2 January 1862, Louisiana was ordered to Hatteras Inlet to prepare for the invasion of the Carolina Sounds. For the next 3 yea

s, she patrolled, supported Army troops and made raids along the many miles of the intricate water system whose eventual capture would be a mortal blow to the Confederacy. Typical of such actions was that of 6 September 1862 when she fired to aid Union troops repelling Confederate attacks on Washington, N.C. Their commander, Ma. Gen. John G. Foster, reported that Louisiana "had rendered most efficient aid, throwing her shells with great precision, and clearing the streets, through which her guns had range."

She captured schooner A Uce L. Webb at Rose Bay, N.C., 5 November 1862, then joined in the Army-Navy expedition which captured Greenville, N.C., 4 days later. On 20 May 1863, one of her boatcrews under Acting Master's Mate Charles W. Fisher, captured a still unrigged schooner in the Ta r River north of Washington, N.C. The prize was named for Louisiana captain, R. T. Renshaw, and taken into the Navy as an ordnance hulk.

Fort Fisher, guarding Wilmington, N C., was the key to the base which northern commanders foresaw the South employing after the fall of Charleston, and Commodore David Porter and Maj. Gen. Benjamin Butler, knowing that an assault on so powerful a defense would be long and costly, hoped to reduce it by blowing up an explosive laden ship under its walls. On 26 November 1864, contrary to naval o chance experts' advice, Louisiana was designated for this assignment, and early in December she proceeded to Hampton Roads to be partially stripped and laden with explosives. She left Hampton Roads 13 December in tow of Sasacusfor Beaufort, N.C., where the loading of powder was completed, and 5 days later arrived off Fort Fisher. Here Wilderness took up the tow, and Comdr. A. C. Rhind with a volunteer crew prepared for the attack. Wilderness and Louisiana continued toward Fort Fisher, but were turned back by the heavy swells which with worsening weather delayed the entire amphibious attack in leaving its base at Beaufort. The final attempt was made 23 December, when Wilderness brought Louisiana into position under Fort Fisher late in the evening. Rhind and his crew lit the fuses and kindled a fire aft, then escaped in smell boats to Wilderness, waiting anxiously f

r 0118 24 December, when the fuses were timed to explode. They failed, but the fire set off worked Its way from the stern to the powder and blew Louisiana up as planned, but with little effect. Several weeks later, the massed gunfire of the fleet and amphibious assault reduced the last great bastion of the Carolina Sounds.


Yeager Airport covers 767 acres (310 ha) at an elevation of 947 feet (289 m) above mean sea level. It has one asphalt runway, 5/23, 6,715 by 150 feet (2,047 x 46 m). [1]

Runway 5/23's heading is 235°. An Engineered Materials Arresting System (EMAS) was built at the end of Runway 5 to act as an equivalent to a 1,000 ft. runway safety area, as required by the FAA. Yeager's secondary runway 15/33, now taxiway C, was headed 335° and was 4,750 feet (1,450 m) long. It was mostly used by general aviation. [ citation needed ]

In the year ending August 31, 2018 the airport had 30,700 aircraft operations, an average of 84 per day: 38% general aviation, 45% air taxi, 14% military, and 4% airline. In August 2018, 62 aircraft were based at this airport: 30 single-engine, 13 multi-engine, 4 jet, 7 helicopter, and 8 military. [1]

During World War II, Charleston's airport, Wertz Field, closed when the airport's approaches were blocked by the federal government building a synthetic rubber plant next to the airport. There were already plans for a new Charleston airport. [5]

The city started construction in 1944 the airport opened in 1947 as Kanawha Airport and American Airlines flights started in December. A terminal was built in 1950, designed by Tucker & Silling. [6] In 1985 the airport was named for then-Brigadier General Chuck Yeager, a native of nearby Lincoln County who piloted the world's first supersonic flight in the Bell X-1. [7] In 1986 the terminal was renovated. [7] Concourse C, designed by L. Robert Kimball and Associates and costing $2.8 million, was completed in 2001. [8]

On February 27, 2008, Yeager's Governing Board voted to close the secondary runway, Rwy 15/33, to allow construction of two new hangars and ramp space for four more C-130s to be based at the Air National Guard facility. [9] [ deprecated source ] It will allow the airport to triple the general aviation area's hangar space and create room for off-runway businesses, and provide parking for up to ten additional commercial airliners. $5 million was given to the airport to build a canopy around the front of the terminal. An additional $2 million was given for a covered walk-way from the terminal to the parking garage. [ citation needed ]

On June 25, 2009, AirTran Airways began service from Charleston to Orlando. AirTran was the first low cost airline at Yeager Airport since Independence Air left years before. AirTran used the Boeing 717-200 until June 3, 2012, when AirTran's last flight departed from Yeager Airport.

On March 3, 2011, Spirit Airlines began flights to Fort Lauderdale and on May 5, 2011, Spirit started seasonal flights between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. On June 10, 2012 Spirit ended service to Fort Lauderdale, leaving seasonal service to Myrtle Beach.

People Express Airlines planned service to Orlando International Airport, on a similar schedule to AirTran's former operations at Yeager Airport, but filed for bankruptcy before starting.

Accidents and incidents Edit

On August 10, 1968, Piedmont Airlines Flight 230 was on an ILS localizer-only approach to runway 23 when it struck trees 360 feet from the runway threshold. The aircraft continued and struck up-sloping terrain short of the runway in a nose down attitude. The aircraft continued up the hill and onto the airport, coming to rest 6 feet beyond the threshold and 50 feet from the right edge of the runway. A layer of dense fog was obscuring the runway threshold and about half of the approach lights. Visual conditions existed outside the fog area. All three crew members and thirty-two of the thirty-four passengers perished. The National Transportation Safety Board blamed the accident on an "unrecognized loss of altitude orientation during the final portion of an approach into shallow, dense fog." The disorientation was caused by a rapid reduction in the ground guidance segment available to the pilot at a point beyond which a go-around could be successfully effected. [10]

On July 13, 2009, Southwest Airlines Flight 2294 from Nashville International Airport to Baltimore-Washington International Airport was forced to divert to Yeager Airport in Charleston, West Virginia after a hole formed on the top of the plane's fuselage near the tail resulting in depressurization of the cabin and deployment of the oxygen masks. The 133 passengers and crew landed safely. [11]

On January 19, 2010, PSA Airlines Canadair CRJ-200 N246PS on flight 2495 to Charlotte, North Carolina on behalf of US Airways with 30 passengers and 3 crew, overran the runway following a rejected take-off at 16:13 local time (21:13 UTC). The aircraft was stopped by the EMAS at the end of the runway, sustaining substantial damage to its undercarriage. [12]

On February 8, 2010, a Freedom Airlines Embraer ERJ-145 on flight 6121 to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport on behalf of Delta Air Lines with 46 passengers and 3 crew, rejected takeoff from Charleston at high speed and came to a safe stop about 400 feet (122 meters) short of the runway end. Both right main gear tires exploded and the fragments damaged the flaps. [13]

On March 13, 2015, a landslide below the approach to Runway 5/23 caused damage to an overrun area, although operations at the airport were largely unaffected by the damage. [14]

On May 5, 2017, an Air Cargo Carriers Short 330, subcontracted by UPS and operating as Air Cargo Carriers Flight 1260, crashed after suffering a hard landing at Yeager Airport. Both the captain and first officer were killed in the accident. Early reports state that the left wing made contact with the surface of Runway 5, separated from the fuselage, and the aircraft cartwheeled left off the runway and down a heavily wooded hillside. The National Transportation Safety Board cited in its final report the causes of "the flight crew's improper decision to conduct a circling approach contrary to the operator's standard operating procedures (SOP) and the captain's excessive descent rate and maneuvering during the approach, which led to inadvertent, uncontrolled contact with the ground. Contributing to the accident was the operator's lack of a formal safety and oversight program to assess hazards and compliance with SOPs and to monitor pilots with previous performance issues." [15] [16]

Kanawha II ScStr - History

Kanawha II , a 575-ton steam yacht, was built at Morris Heights, New York, in 1899. After nearly two decades as a pleasure craft, she was acquired by the Navy in late April 1917 and commissioned at that time as USS Kanawha II (SP-130. Following brief service in the vicinity of New York City, in June she became one of the early ships sent across the Atlantic to operate in European waters. For the rest of the First World War, and for some months after the November 1918 Armistice, the ex-yacht performed patrol and convoy escort missions off western France, making occasional contact with German submarines. Kanawha II was renamed Piqua in March 1918, probably to avoid message confusion with the Navy oiler Kanawha . Her European service ended in May 1919, when Piqua began a month-long voyage back to the United States. She was decommissioned and returned to her owner at the beginning of July 1919.

This page features the only views we have concerning USS Piqua (SP-130) and the civilian yacht Kanawha II .

If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Kanawha II (Steam Yacht, 1899)

Underway, prior to her World War I Navy service.
She was acquired by the Navy and commissioned on 28 April 1917 as USS Kanawha II (SP-130). Renamed Piqua on 14 March 1918, she was returned to her owner on 1 July 1919.

The original print is in National Archives' Record Group 19-LCM.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 67KB 740 x 470 pixels

Dressed with flags on 4 July 1918, as flagship of the U.S. District Commander at Lorient, France.
Note her pattern camouflage.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 75KB 740 x 440 pixels

Photographed on 4 July 1918, as flagship of the U.S. District Commander at Lorient, France.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 89KB 740 x 445 pixels

Off Lorient, France, circa 1918.
She is painted in distinctive pattern camouflage.
The French Navy machinist school is in the extreme right distance.

Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2011.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 107 KB 900 x 690 pixels

The following photograph of another vessel shows USS Piqua in its left background:

USS Raymond J. Anderton (SP-530)

Off Lorient, France, circa 1918.
She has the numeral "4" painted on her bow.
At the time this photograph was taken, this ship's name had been formally shortened to Anderton .
Ships partially visible in the background are USS Piqua (SP-130), at left, and USS Winfield S. Cahill (SP-493) at right, with numeral "2" on her bow.

Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2011.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 87 KB 900 x 625 pixels

Additional image: Photo # NH 43542, a view of USS Pastores underway just outside Quiberon Bay, France, in 1918, was taken from USS Piqua .

Watch the video: Overview of The Kanawha u0026 Western Allegheny (July 2022).


  1. Wichamm

    It does not suit me.

  2. Covey

    about such I did not hear

  3. Dunstan

    In my opinion, you are making a mistake. Let's discuss.

  4. Terron

    wonderfully, this message of value

Write a message