History Podcasts

HMS Undaunted

HMS Undaunted

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

HMS Undaunted

HMS Undaunted was an Arethusa class light cruiser, completed in August 1914. She spend almost the entire war with the Harwich Force, joining it as the leader of the 3rd Destroyer Flotilla at the end of August 1914.

On 17 October she led four destroyers of her flotilla against a force of four German destroyers off the Dutch coast. The four German destroyers (S 115, S 117, S 118 and S 119) were all sunk during the engagement.

In November 1914 she was part of the force mobilised in an attempt to catch the German ships that had raided Gorleston (part of Yarmouth). Unlike most of the British ships involved, she made contact with German cruisers, and attempted to draw then on to more powerful forces, but without success.

On 25 December 1914 she was part of a force of three cruisers, three seaplane carriers, nine seaplanes and associated destroyers and submarines that attacked the Cuxhaven Zeppelin base.

On 24 January 1915 she was present at the battle of Dogger Bank, but did not get involved in the main fighting. She then moved to the Irish Sea, with her destroyers, to undertake anti-submarine duties. On 9-12 February they escorted the Canadian division from Britain to France. On April 1915 she was badly damaged in a collision with the destroyer Landrail, the first of two collisions in her career.

In August 1915 she was transferred to the 9th Destroyer Flotilla. In the same month she took part in the hunt for the German minelayer Meteor, which ended with scuttling of the German ship.

The Undaunted was part of the force that covered the raid on Tondern (or Hoyen), on 24 March 1916. During the return trip the flagship, HMS Cleopatra, turned sharply to ram a German destroyer, and cut across the bows of the Undaunted. She was badly damaged in the collision, and could only make 6kts without damaging her bulkheads. For some time it looked as if the German High Seas Fleet would catch her, triggering a possible battle which was avoided when the Germans turned back. Jellicoe had to detach his Queen Elizabeth class battleships to protect the Undaunted as she made her way back to harbour. She reached safety at Seaham Harbour on 28 March, four days after the collision.

In April 1917 she was converted to carry 70 mines, but she didn’t carry out any mine laying missions. On 5 June 1917 she was part of the British fleet that took part in the bombardment of the German base at Ostend. In October she was part of the force deployed in a attempt to find the German fleet that was actually attacking a Scandinavian convoy.

In November 1918 Undaunted left the Harwich Force, and joined the 7th Light Cruiser Squadron of the Grand Fleet, remaining there until March 1919. The next month she joined the Nore Reserve. At the start of 1921 she was reactivated to carry troops to the Mediterranean, before returning to the reserve.

Displacement (loaded)


Top Speed


Armour – deck


- belt





Two 6in Mk XII guns
Six 4in quick firing Mk IV guns
One 3pdr anti-aircraft gun
Four 21in torpedo tubes above water

Crew complement



28 April 1914


August 1914

Sold for break up



Cecil Fox (1914)
F. G. St. John

Books on the First World War |Subject Index: First World War

HMS Undaunted (1914)

Die HMS Undaunted war ein Leichter Kreuzer der Arethusa-Klasse der Royal Navy. Die Undaunted versenkte mit vier Zerstörern am 17. Oktober 1914 vier deutsche Torpedoboote unter Georg Thiele im Seegefecht vor Texel und nahm an der Sicherung des Angriffs britischer Seeflugzeuge auf Cuxhaven am 25. Dezember 1914 und am Gefecht auf der Doggerbank am 24. Januar 1915 teil.
Die Undaunted wurde am 9. April 1923 zum Abbruch verkauft.

ü.a.: 132,98 m (436 ft)
pp.: 120,05 m (410 ft)

482 ts Treiböl (max. 810 ts)

Service history

Napoleonic wars

Captain Thomas James Maling was appointed to command her on 27 October 1807. [2] The ship served in the West Indies and the English Channel, and was for a time in early 1810 engaged in the defence of Cádiz. [2]

During this time she made two notable captures on 29 February 1808 the Spanish ship Nostra Senora del Carmen, alias La Baladora, [3] and on 12 February 1809, the French privateer San Josephe in the Channel. Undaunted discovered San Josephe at dawn, taking her after a chase lasting four hours, and brought her into Spithead the next day. The privateer, which was only four days out from St. Malo, was provisioned for two months and pierced for 18 guns, but mounted only 14, with a crew of 96. [4] [lower-alpha 1] The Royal Navy took San Josephe into service as Magnet.

In June 1810 command of the ship passed from Captain Maling to Captain George Charles Mackenzie. [2] On 30 August 1810 she sailed with a convoy for Malta. [6] Under Captain Mackenzie her career appears to have been less eventful, but on 17 February 1811 Undaunted did recapture the transport ship Dorothy [7] just before command passed to Captain Richard Thomas. Under Captain Thomas, Undaunted was sent to the Mediterranean, where she was first employed in co-operating with Spanish guerillas on the coast of Catalonia, and later at the blockade of Marseille, and was for a time the flagship of the small squadron blockading Toulon. [8] On 29 April 1812 the boats of Undaunted, the frigate Volontaire, and the sloop Blossom attacked a convoy of 26 French vessels near the mouth of the river Rhone. Led by Lieutenant Eagar of Undaunted, they captured seven vessels, burned twelve, and left two grounded on the beach. A French Navy schooner armed with four 18-pounders and a crew of 74 was among the vessels burnt. The attack was carried out without loss, being protected by Captain Stewart in Blossom. [9] Captain Thomas was eventually invalided home, [8] and command of Undaunted passed to Captain Thomas Ussher on 2 February 1813. [10]

Under Captain Ussher's command Undaunted was continually employed on the southern coast of France for the next two years, making numerous attacks on ships and fortifications.

  • On 18 February 1813 Undaunted captured the San Nicolo, with Volontaire present, and thus taking a share of the prize money. [11]
  • On 18 March 1813 boats from Undaunted under the command of Lieutenant Aaron Tozer, landed near Carri, west of Marseille, and attacked a shore battery. Undaunted ' s marines drove out the occupants at the point of the bayonet, and then destroyed four 24-pounder long guns, a 6-pounder field gun, and a 13-inch mortar, before capturing a tartan that was anchored nearby. Two men from Undaunted were killed and one wounded.
  • On 29 March 1813 Volontaire, Undaunted, and the brig-sloopRedwing, observed 14 merchant vessels sheltering under the protection of two shore batteries at Morgiou. That night a large party of seamen and Marines, under the command of Lieutenant Shaw were landed at Sormiou, and attacked the batteries from the rear at dawn. The 40 enemy troops there made only a partial resistance, and were soon overcome. They suffered 4 killed and 5 wounded, and 17 prisoners, a lieutenant and 16 men of the 62nd Regiment were taken prisoner, while the rest escaped. The five 36-pounder guns in one battery, and two 24-pounders in the other, were thrown into the sea, a mortar was spiked, and all the ammunition destroyed. Meanwhile, boats under the command of Lieutenant Syer, protected by the Redwing under Sir John Sinclair, succeeded in capturing 11 merchant vessels, all tartans or settees ranging between 25 and 45 tons, mainly laden with oil, and destroyed one other loaded, and two empty, which were driven aground. Only the approach of French troops from Marseille prevented any further operations. Volontaire only had two seamen wounded, while Undaunted had one marine killed, and two marines severely wounded. [12]
  • On 2 May 1813, after observing that the French were rebuilding the batteries at Morgiou the 74-gun shipRepulse, under the command of Captain Richard Hussey Mowbray, along with Undaunted, Volontaire, and Redwing, mounted another attack. One hundred Marines, along with seamen from the ships, covered by the fire of Redwing, landed in boats armed with carronades and drove the enemy—a detachment of the 4th Battalion of the 1st Regiment—away into the hills, and kept them there while the batteries, containing nine gun carriages and a 13-inch mortar, were destroyed with explosives. Meanwhile, the ships launches captured a number of vessels in the bay below. The French suffered at least twelve killed, and several prisoners were taken, at a cost of only two men killed, and four wounded from Undaunted and Volontaire. [13] In 1847 a clasp to the Naval General Service Medal marked "2 May Boat Service 1813" was awarded to the surviving members of the crews of Repulse, Undaunted, Volontaire, and Redwing who took part. [14]
  • On 18 August 1813 Undaunted, Redwing, and the 16-gun brig-sloop Kite, launched an attack on the strongly-defended port of Cassis, east of Marseille. They were reinforced by boats and men from the ships Caledonia, Hibernia, Barfleur, and Prince of Wales, from Sir Edward Pellew's fleet. Light winds meant that Undaunted was unable to take her assigned position, but the smaller Redwing and Kite entered the bay using their sweeps. The entrance of the bay was covered by four batteries and two gun-boats were moored across the entrance of the port. While a party of Marines and seamen captured the main battery in the Citadel by escalade, 24 settees and tartans were captured, as were two gunboats both armed with two howitzers and 12 swivels, and a gunboat and a tartan were destroyed. Sixty prisoners were taken, while the British had four men killed, and 15 wounded. [15][16]
  • On 9 November 1813 Undaunted and the sloop Guadeloupe attacked Port-la-Nouvelle, with the Marines storming the batteries while men from the ships captured two vessels and destroyed five. Captain Ussher noted in his report that this brought the total number of vessels taken or destroyed in the 10 months he had been in command of Undaunted up to seventy. [17]
  • On 22 December 1813 Undaunted and Euryalus sank the Baloena. Head money for the 147 men assumed to have been aboard was paid in November 1816. [18]
  • On 8 April 1814: Undaunted captured the brig Bienfaisant. [19]

Napoleon's Journey to Elba

Late on the evening of 24 April 1814, Undaunted still under command of Thomas Ussher, and Euryalus, commanded by Captain Charles Napier, were off Marseille, when they observed illuminations in the town, which obviously indicated some important event. The next morning the two ships anchored off the town, noting that the semaphore station seemed to be abandoned, and were later approached by a boat flying a flag of truce carrying the mayor and municipal officials, who informed them of the abdication of Napoleon. Captains Ussher and Napier landed to meet the military governor of the town, and during the meeting Ussher received a letter informing him that Colonel Sir Neil Campbell was also there, with orders from Lord Castlereagh in Paris to convey the former Emperor and his retinue into exile on the island of Elba. On 26 April Undaunted sailed for Saint-Tropez, and then to nearby Fréjus where Napoleon was lodged in a small hotel. On the evening of 28 April Napoleon, his various followers, and the representatives of the victorious Allies finally boarded Undaunted and set sail for Elba. She arrived there on 30 April, and Napoleon disembarked on 3 May to formally take possession of the island. Undaunted remained at Elba until the end of the month before sailing to Genoa. [20] Captain Ussher relinquished command of Undaunted on 29 June 1814. [10]

Captain Charles Thurlow Smith then took command of Undaunted. Following Napoleon's escape from Elba in February 1815 Undaunted and Garland, under the command of Captain Charles Austen in Phoenix, were sent into the Adriatic in pursuit of a Neapolitan squadron, supposed to be there. While Garland and Phoenix blockaded Brindisi, Undaunted patrolled the coast. [21] On 2 May 1815 Undaunted destroyed "sundry vessels" at Tremiti, and two privateers were captured on 28 May and 4 June 1815. [22]

Post-war service

Undaunted finally returned to Britain, and was paid off at Chatham on October 1815, and remained there kept "in ordinary" [6] until she was recommissioned on 11 August 1827 under Captain Sir Augustus William James Clifford. She was soon employed, attending the Lord High Admiral the Duke of Clarence (later King William IV) during his official visits to Chatham and Sheerness. In 1828 Undaunted sailed for India, via the Cape of Good Hope, with Lord William Bentinck aboard as a passenger in order to take up his post as Governor-General. Undaunted return to Britain with Major-General Bourke, the former Lieutenant-Governor of the Cape aboard, [23] and was paid off again in November 1830. [6]

In November 1831 she was recommissioned under Captain Edward Harvey. [6] Undaunted was employed at the Cape of Good Hope, on the African and East India stations, during which Harvey commanded a squadron at the time of an insurrection on the Île de France. The ship eventually returned to the UK. [24] On 1 February 1834, the Undaunted ran aground off Selsey Bill, West Sussex. [25] She was subsequently put out of commission later that year. [24]

She was laid up at Portsmouth. [26] On 24 November 1859, [27] the vessel was used as a target ship during testing of molten-iron filled shells, that were intended to set their target on fire. These eventually started a fire on Undaunted that could not be put out and she was sunk with conventional shot. [26] She was finally broken up in 1860. [6]

Service history

Second World War service

Undaunted had a long, distinguished and industrious career, which started soon after her launching and acceptance into the fleet in 1944. Built as a destroyer of 1,710 tons, most of her first ship's company joined her in February 1944, after travelling by overnight troop train from Devonport Barracks.

Operations against the Tirpitz

She subsequently took part in the D-Day landings, as part of Task Force G, covering the Roger section of Sword Beach. It was while she was at Normandy that the recently appointed Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, General Dwight D. Eisenhower was embarked in her from the fast mine laying cruiser Apollo, which had grounded, damaging her propellers. General Eisenhower and Admiral Ramsay were given a fast passage back to Portsmouth by Undaunted and his flag was a Wardroom “Trophy” until 1969, when it was presented to the National Trust for Scotland during a ceremony in Edinburgh, during a visit to Leith.

The Eisenhower flag

The flag resides in the National Trust for Scotland property of Culzean Castle in Ayrshire, Scotland, in the Eisenhower exhibition along with some other items of his, including his presidential flag, shirt, jacket and tie. The flag is thin and crudely made, and has Eisenhower's signature on two of the four stars sewn on. The description board for the flag states:

Flag presented to the Officers and Men of HMS Undaunted by General Eisenhower. During the afternoon of 7 June 1944, HMS Undaunted embarked General Eisenhower, Admiral Ramsay and their staffs, whose ship had grounded. This flag was hoisted at the starboard yard arm. General Eisenhower signed his name across two of the stars, using an indelible pencil dipped in whiskey.

The Mediterranean and Far East

After D-Day, Undaunted saw service in the Mediterranean and did a great deal of escort work out of Malta. She then went on to Bari, Brindisi and Taranto (Italy), where crew members earned the Italy Medal for operations such as bombarding the Coast Road by Ancona, to help the Army and she was also engaged in operations off the coast of Yugoslavia.

She then travelled through the Suez Canal to Aden and Bombay, where she was engaged in escorting troopships. As part of the British Pacific Fleet she was assigned the pennant number D25, she acted as Guard ship off Yokohama Bay on VJ Day, whilst the peace treaty was being signed aboard the US battleship USS Missouri. Shortly after VJ Day, Undaunted sailed into Sydney, Australia, flying the flags of Japan, Germany and Italy. She also flew the flags of France, United States, China and Poland, as well as the personal flag of Dwight D. Eisenhower. One officer explained "We were feeling exuberant and flew the lot."

She then went on to Auckland, New Zealand, where she was in refit for six weeks, having steamed 150,000 miles since commissioning some 18 months beforehand. In January 1946, she sailed home via Sydney, Melbourne, Cape Town, St Helena, Freetown and Gibraltar, to Plymouth, where she arrived on 19 March 1946.

Post war

Between 1946 and 1953 she was held in reserve at Devonport. [1] Between 1953 and 1954, like many former wartime destroyers, she was converted into a Type 15 anti submarine frigate, at the Cowes shipyard of J. Samuel White. Following her conversion, she was assigned the new pennant number F53. On 23 July 1954 she re-commissioned for service with the 2nd Training Squadron at Portland. In 1955 she carried out trials of the latest long range Asdic equipment in the bay of Biscay and the Mediterranean carrying Engineers from the Portland Research Centre and acting alone rather than part of the 2nd TS.(ref< Lockyer, Sub Lieut RNVR on board at time)>. In 1958 she commissioned for service with the 6th Frigate Squadron. She also took part in Asdic trials, and other experimental work. She was fitted with a flight deck in 1959 and became the first small ship in the Navy trials to carry an anti-submarine helicopter - the naval version of the Wasp helicopter. The Wasp's main role was for anti-submarine warfare.

Between 1960 and 1961 she was part of the 20th Frigate squadron at Londonderry. From October 1961 and March 1962 she underwent a refit at Rosyth Dockyard. On the 16 February she re-commissioned as part of the 2nd Frigate Squadron at Portland.

She later became Captain "D" of the Portland Training Squadron, spending most of her time day-running out of Portland, training TAS ratings in anti-submarine warfare. Between 1964 and 1967 she had a long refit at Chatham. [1] In 1968 she took part in Navy Days at Portsmouth during that year. [2] In 1969 she underwent another five-month refit at Chatham dockyard.

Decommissioning and disposal

Undaunted was in commission until March 1973, when she was reduced to reserve. In 1978 she was used for further trials, she was sunk as a target for an Exocet missile, fired from the destroyer Norfolk, and a torpedo from the submarine Swiftsure. She now rests on the bed of the Atlantic Ocean.

Sinking [ edit ]

Undaunted spent much of her short career operating in the Mediterranean. Ώ] On 1 May 1941, she sailed from Malta to patrol off Tripoli, Libya. She was due to return to Malta on 11 May but she failed to do so and is presumed lost on mines. It is also possible that she was sunk by the Italian torpedo boat Pegaso, which had sailed from Tripoli on the 12th. Pegaso had signalled that she had attacked a submarine with depth charges and that a large patch of oil had been observed, an indication of the submarine's destruction. Against this theory is the fact that by that date Undaunted should have been back at Malta, but it is possible that a decision to remain at sea longer had been taken, or that she had suffered mechanical problems preventing her return. It is also possible that she was sunk by the Italian torpedo boat Pleiade off Tripoli on the 13th but this is not very likely. ΐ]

Pledge Information

Pledges have undergone some major changes with the release of the One Tamriel update. In the past, there were 2 Daily quests: a Normal and a Veteran, and players were rewarded Bronze, Silver or Gold Keys for their participation. Now there are 3 Daily quests, and these can be run at any difficulty. Running them on Normal rewards 1 Pledge Key. Running them on Veteran rewards 1 Pledge Key and 1 Monster Mask of that Dungeon. Running them on Veteran *hard mode* rewards 2 Pledge Keys along with the Monster Mask of the Dungeon. This means players can potentially acquire 6 Keys a day, if they run each Pledge on Veteran and get the Challenge.

*Veteran hard mode: right before the boss fight, there is usually a scroll on the ground (Scroll of Glorious Battle). activating it will increase the difficulty. These hard mode bosses also reward a collectible Undaunted bust of that boss for furnishing your home.

There are now 3 NPCs that give these quests instead of 2. They will give players a quest from the following pools and players can use their Pledge Keys to open one of 3 chests, granting a shoulder piece (as well as other loot) from that pool.

As of Scalebreaker DLC in August 14th 2019, the NPCs below have a "store" for players to purchase sets from.

With the Scalebreaker Update, Undaunted Keys will now be located in the currency tab and no longer take up valuable inventory space. You can also now spend your keys directly via a store with the three pledge masters (Urgarlag Chief-bane, Glirion the Redbeard, Maj al-Ragath) in a number of ways which are as follows:

    The mystery coffers now sold by each respective pledge master function similarly to the previous chest interactions. These provide a guaranteed monster set shoulder piece from among the dungeons associated with the pledges that NPC offers, along with a chance at a number of other rewards, for a single key.

Exclusive–O’Donnell: Undaunted Courage, Fireships — Special Operations During the Revolution

Two hundred and forty-five years ago, precursors to America’s nascent special operations forces got off to a rough start.

In August 1776, in the warm air of a summer night, two American ships glided silently toward their prey: the British twenty-gun HMS Rose and the forty-four-gun HMS Phoenix, the battleship of its time. Under the cloak of darkness, the unsuspecting British warships lay anchored in the Hudson River north of New York City. “The night was dark and favorable to our design, and the enemy did not perceive our vessels until they were near aboard them,” recalled one Patriot.

The American crews specifically assembled from volunteers for this special mission, led by Marblehead captain Thomas Fosdick, knew that this could be their last. Fosdick had experienced a meteoric rise from the rank of fifer to ensign to captain. With trepidation and anticipation warring within them, the men, daredevils all, tensed themselves for the order they knew was coming. At the last possible second, the signal came.

As the designated crew members lit their own ships on fire, the floating forests of kindling suddenly erupted into a mass of heat and light. The British sailors aboard the Rose and Phoenix, roused from their sleepy stupor, immediately grasped the danger in front of them. The Marbleheaders were attempting a daring special operations mission: ramming their fireships into the British vessels with the hopes of setting them ablaze.

Fosdick and his men tossed grappling hooks onto the British vessels and then quickly abandoned ship. While the British sailors panicked, the British captains were not so easily fazed. Both remained cool enough in the face of the approaching fire to cut the ropes drawing them closer to the fireships. However, the captain of the Phoenix was not fast enough to avoid his vessel being boarded by the Americans. And the Rose, despite the captain’s desperate maneuverings, could not escape from the conflagration. The captain of the Rose recorded in his journal that the Americans “set the Tender Instantly in a Blaze,…we veer’d away but finding we could not get clear of her cut the Cable.”

This extraordinary story and others is told in the new bestselling book, The Indispensables: Marblehead’s Diverse Soldier-Mariners Who Shaped the Country, Formed the Navy, and Rowed Washington Across the Delaware. The book is a Band of Brothers-style treatment of a regiment of citizen soldier-mariners who were not only diverse but were also bound together by ties of family and friendship who changed the course of history.

The Americans who had not managed to scramble away from the enemy vessels now faced the very real danger of being burned to death. They bolted for the holes they had previously cut in the sterns of the fireships and clambered aboard small whaleboats fastened to the rear of the fireships.

Not all of them made it out alive. Perhaps the last man to leave was Captain Thomas, who was at the helm of one of the other fire vessels. Washington himself commended the valiant officer: “One of the Captains—Thomas—it is to be feared perished in the attempt, or in making his escape by swimming, as he has not been heard of—His bravery entitled him to a better fate.”

Fosdick survived, but the operation was not quite as successful as the Americans would have wished. They did not destroy the warships entirely, but they did inflict damage—to the vessels and to the enemy’s morale. Washington wrote, “Though this enterprise did not succeed to our wishes, I incline to think it alarmed the Enemy greatly—For this morning, the Phoenix and Rose with their two remaining Tenders taking the advantage of a brisk and prosperous gale with a favorable tide, quitted their stations and have returned and joined the rest of the Fleet.”

Fosdick and other Marbleheaders survived and would, along with their indispensable Marblehead Regiment, play a crucial role in changing the course of history when, weeks later, they would use their maritime skills again to save Washington’s army from certain annihilation in the American Dunkirk at the Battle of Brooklyn.

during the Great War 1914-1918.

The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List

Looking for help with Family History Research?

Please see Family History FAQ's

Please note: We are unable to provide individual research free of charge.

HMS Undaunted (ii) (R 53)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

1Lt.Cdr. Angus Alexander Mackenzie, RD, RNR14 Feb 194410 Oct 1944
2Lt.Cdr. Campbell Eric Reginald Sharp, RN10 Oct 1944early 1946

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Notable events involving Undaunted (ii) include:

10 Mar 1944
HMS Trusty (Lt. M.F.R. Ainslie, DSO, DSC, RN) conducts A/S exercises with the Canadian destroyer HMCS Algonquin (A/Lt.Cdr. D.W. Piers, DSC, RCN) and later with the British destroyer HMCS Undaunted (Lt.Cdr. A.A. Mackenzie, RD, RNR). ( 1 )

25 Jun 1945
HMS Vox (Lt. W.E.I. Littlejohn, DSC, RANVR) conducted A/S exercises off Sydney with HMS Undine (Cdr. T.C. Robinson, RN), HMS Ulysses, HMS Urania (Lt.Cdr. J.M. Alliston, DSO, DSC, RN), HMS Grenville (Capt. R.G. Onslow, DSO, RN), HMCS Undaunted (Lt.Cdr. C.E.R. Sharp, RN) and HMS Urchin (Lt.Cdr. A.F. Harkness, DSC, OBE, RD, RNR). ( 2 )

Media links

ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.

HMS Undaunted (1914)

Alus tilattiin Govanista Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Companyltä, missä köli laskettiin 21. joulukuuta 1912. Alus laskettiin vesille 28. huhtikuuta 1914 ja otettiin palvelukseen elokuussa 1914.

Palvelukseen otettaessa alus liitettiin laivueenjohtajaksi Harwichiin sijoitettuun 3. hävittäjälaivueeseen, jonka tehtävänä oli Kanaalin itäpään valvonta. Alus otti osaa 28. elokuuta 1914 Helgolandin taisteluun. Se otti myös osaa 17. lokakuuta Hollannin rannikolla Texelin saaren edustalla taisteluun, jonka aikana upotettiin neljä Saksan keisarikunnan laivaston torpedovenettä. Alus otti 25. joulukuuta 1914 osaa Cuxhavenin rynnäkköön suojaten vesilentokoneiden emälaivoja. [1]

Alus osallistui 24. tammikuuta 1915 Doggermatalikon taisteluun. Alus hyökkäsi helmikuussa Dungenessin edustalla Saksan laivaston sukellusvenettä vastaan ilman tulosta. Huhtikuussa alus vaurioitui pahoin törmättyään hävittäjä HMS Landrailin kanssa. Elokuussa 1915 alus liitettiin 9. hävittäjälaivueeseen, jonka mukana se valtasi lokakuussa saksalaisia troolareita. Alus suojasi 24. maaliskuuta 1916 Tonderniin hyökänneitä vesilentokoneiden emälaivoja, kun se kolaroi risteilijä HMS Cleopatran kanssa. Aluksen saamat vauriot korjattiin Tynen telakalla. [1]

Alus muutettiin huhtikuussa 1917 nopeaksi miinalaivaksi asentamalla sille kiskot 74 miinaa varten. Se ei kuitenkaan suorittanut ainuttakaan miinoitustehtävää. Vuonna 1917 alus siirrettiin laivueenjohtajaksi Harwichiin sijoitettuun 10. hävittäjälaivueen, mistä se määrättiin marraskuussa 1918 Suuren laivaston (engl. Grand Fleet ) 7. risteilijäviirikköön, jossa se palveli aina maaliskuuhun 1919. [1]

Huhtikuussa 1919 alus siirrettiin Noren reserviin, mistä se palautettiin palvelukseen kuljettamaan helmikuusta toukokuuhun 1921 lauttoja Välimerelle. Tehtävänsä suoritettuaan alus palautettiin reserviin, kunnes se sijoitettiin huhtikuussa 1922 poistolistalle. Alus myytiin romutettavaksi 9. huhtikuuta 1923 Cashmorelle Newportiin. [1]

Watch the video: HMS Vanguard - Guide 132 Extended Look (July 2022).


  1. Burrell

    I apologize, but I think you are wrong. I can defend my position. Write to me in PM.

  2. Dounos

    Likely yes

  3. Chrysostom

    Your message, just the beauty

  4. Tzefanyah

    I mean you are not right. I can prove it. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.

  5. Burn

    It's a pity that I can't speak right now - I'm very busy. I will be released - I will definitely express my opinion on this issue.

  6. Zulugul

    It is a pity, that now I can not express - I hurry up on job. But I will be released - I will necessarily write that I think.

Write a message